Planning, Zoning, Permitting & Licensing
Development Services develops and administers plans, ordinances and programs to promote the public health, safety and welfare of present and future County residents.
The department does the following:
- Administers Zoning, Subdivision, Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinances
- Collects data and provides information for policy development relating to:
- Affordable housing
- Environmental planning
- Economic development
- Coordinates federal and state grant applications for community development projects
- Maintains and updates the County's Comprehensive Plan
- Provides staff support to the Board of Supervisors, the Planning Commission, and the Board of Zoning Appeals
The Franklin County Economic Development Office works closely with the Development Services Department to ensure that business permitting and planning issues are addressed rapidly and fairly. County staff from both departments strive to provide the quality and timely assistance expected by our business clients so that they can concentrate on successfully running their business, not dealing with bureaucratic red tape.
The Development Services Department can be contacted by calling 540-483-3027 or you may visit their website.